Talk To Our Accident Attorneys
(212) 227-1212
Free Consultation
Request Your Free Consultation

Firm News

What Types Of Damages Can I Recover After A Car Accident?

Car accident on the street.

After a car accident, you’re going to face a lot of expenses. Hopefully, most of the expenses you incur – if not all – will be covered by the other person(s) insurance. Even more hopefully, you will be able to settle out of court, without getting involved in lengthy litigation. But what kinds of damages and expenses can you sue for?

It can be difficult to move on following a motor vehicle accident (MVA). In addition to physical injuries, mental anguish can affect you and possibly your family. You may no longer have use of your car, you might have to miss work, the medical bills will pile up, and much more. You are suffering pain and inconvenience, and you deserve to be compensated.

It’s important that immediately following your car accident, you contact a competent personal injury lawyer who is experienced in car accident cases. By doing this, you stand the best chance of the entire process going far more smoothly and a good chance of getting the compensation you deserve.

Let’s take a look at some of the categories under which damages could fall – that you can sue for – following an MVA.

Wrongful Death

When, due to car accident-sustained injuries, a family member or loved one is killed, you may choose to bring a wrongful death claim against the other party. Costs associated with funerary and medical expenses may be recoverable. Additionally, had that person survived, any income they may have earned/provided may be recoverable as well by the family members.

Pain and Suffering

Though you may not know precisely what is meant by “pain-and-suffering”, most people have heard of it. The at-fault party, in general, may compensate you for mental suffering and anguish. This could include damages, due to disfigurement or scarring, for a reduced quality of life.

Lost Income

There are several scenarios here that can be figured in. While you are recuperating from your injuries, you’ll likely miss work. That’s one amount. Another amount could entail your diminished capacity to work in the future – you would earn less than you’re capable of earning now. That’s another amount. You may even be permanently incapacitated and unable to work at all in the future. That’s another amount.

Property Damage

To replace and/or repair your property (your vehicle) the other person involved in the accident may be held liable. At the time of your accident, the actual cash value of your car may be what determines how much the person will be expected to pay, if your car was totaled.

Anything inside the vehicle that was damaged in the accident may also be covered here. This could mean a child car seat, your glasses, your phone, etc.

Medical Bills and Expenses Related to Your Accident

One of the biggest expenses you will face after a car accident, if you are injured, will be medical bills. Remember that this applies to future care as well as immediate care. While you’re healing, you may require assistive devices, undergo various therapies, etc. You may even suffer a permanent disability that will affect you for the rest of your life.

Your medical bills will likely be included in the recovery of economic losses.

If you’ve been involved in a car accident, don’t settle for a lowball offer from an insurance company. Explore your options. Talk to the professionals at Pazer, Epstein, Jaffe, and Fein, P.C..

Contact us using our convenient online form or feel free to phone us in New York at 212-227-1212, or in Huntington/Long Island at 631-864-2429.

Select Language